3.18.2008

Words to Live By... Book #1



Book #1: The Bible (the given!)

I'll start off with the easy one... the given I mentioned in the previous post. The Bible trumps all other books as the single most influential book in my life. Period. Amen. After all, there is no other book that I can actually use as an offensive weapon in the daily struggles and spiritual battles of my life... no other book that is "living and active"... no book whose words are truly worth "storing up in our hearts"... no other book that is "breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness". So the Bible stands as the first, last, and always most influential book in my life!

I do have some Bibles that are more meaningful to me than others, though ---

... like my very first Bible, the little pink New Testament someone gave me when I was born...

... or the Children's Living Bible that my parents gave me in 1982 on which I later wrote the date of my salvation in 1984 and on which my sister Karen decided to inscribe her own name (not sure why you did that, sis, but I treasure it!)...

... or the NIV Thinline that I carried to Merida, Mexico in 1996 on the trip where God rescued me from me...

...or the burgundy NASB Thinline that I took to Passion '98 where God awakened me to the understanding that "God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him"...

... or the black NASB Giant Print that Brian gave to Brother Steve to use in our wedding ceremony...

... or the little burgundy NASB that Brian gave me the first Christmas after we were married which I carried all over Europe as I read through the Psalms...

... or the Tiny Black ESV that Brian gave me one Valentine's Day that I carry in my purse today. I figure I better carry my sword with me everywhere I go, right!

... or the Bible recently given to us by The Seed Company that appears to be a normal Bible from the outside cover; however, upon opening this one, you will find the pages entirely blank. What a reminder to us that there are many people around the world who still do not have a Bible translated into their native language!

Most of you need no convincing that the Bible is the most influential book for everyone of us, so I will just leave it at that!




post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's neat to see how the different bibles have carried you thru certain times in your life. my vote for #1 book is the bible too....but mine is the navy blue NIV thinline that i received as a christmas gift from my two sisters, Janna and Lisa, in 1996. Y'all were both away at college, and I missed y'all so much....that bible was, is, and will always be a source of comfort to me. I've written all over the pages, and it's my greatest treasure that i own. Thanks for giving me such a PRICELESS gift! i love you sis!

love ya,
karen