3.24.2008

Words to Live By... Book #2

Book #2: Pride and Prejudice

by Jane Austen



Karen, you guessed it right! Pride & Prejudice is definitely on the list, but possibly not for the reasons you may suspect. Bear in mind that my list is not in order of greater influence, but in the order that I first read them.

If you haven’t already read this book, you simply must! The MW Encyclopedia of Literature describes it as a


Novel by Jane Austen, published anonymously in three volumes in 1813. The narrative, which Austen initially titled “First Impressions,” describes the clash between Elizabeth Bennet, the daughter of a country gentleman, and Fitzwilliam Darcy, a rich and aristocratic landowner. Austen reverses the convention of first impressions: "pride" of rank and fortune, and "prejudice" against Elizabeth's inferiority of family, hold Darcy aloof; while Elizabeth is equally fired both by the pride of self-respect and by prejudice against Darcy's snobbery. Ultimately, they come together in love and self-understanding.



I first read this book during my sophomore year of high school. My English teacher, whose name I can’t even remember at all, decided that the entire class was going to read a book together and report on it. For the life of me, I can’t remember what book we were asked to read --- neither the book nor the teacher left a lasting impression on me. My school (which was an engineering high school) seemed to attract quite good math and science teachers, but it was seriously lacking in English teachers who inspired anything more than just getting the basic, required work done. I digress… The book we were asked to read was appalling. I remember being absolutely disgusted by the first chapter because of its crude and indecent nature. My teacher agreed to let me select another book to read and report on, and I have no idea how I made my choice, but I somehow ended up with Pride and Prejudice. The decision proved serendipitous!

Pride and Prejudice remains a book that I love to read… and re-read. I think I read it about once a year! It was springtime in Louisiana the first time that I read it, and I can vividly remember lying facedown on my bed, windows thrown wide open to the gentle breeze with my feet kicked up into the air as I devoured the text.

Something about this book awakened in me a true love of books and of reading… a love that continues to this day and is evidenced by the stacks and stacks of books precariously balanced upon my night stand. For that, it finds its way onto my list of influential books.

So, what do you think of Pride and Prejudice? And what books top your list of influential reading?









post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think i have enough words to tell what i feel about P&P! i remember when you read it, sis...and i kept thinking, that is so girly, i'd never read something like that. because back then, i was totally into sherlock holmes, agatha christie, murder, intrigue, and adventure. i didn't have time for girls whose idea of vacation was touring old houses....but boy was i wrong! i have fallen head over heels for P&P....

1) i love the relationships between the sisters, and between the whole bennett family....mom and dad, dad and girls, mom and girls. they would do anything for each other.

2)i love the tense romance between lizzie and darcy...of course, what's not to love about a really rich, handsome guy!

3)i love that i can read it every year (and yes, i do) and still find it entertaining and enjoyable. it's like catching up with old friends that i haven't talked to in a year!!

so props to you sis, for placing this book on your list. i can't wait to find out what the others will be!

love ya,
karen

Christy said...

You have great taste, Janna! I love all of Austen's books, and P&P is right up there at the top. She puts so much into all of her characters (and not just the two main ones) that you feel like you know them so well when you are done with the book. Persuasion is also a favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing your book list!