7.19.2007

An Anniversary of Sorts...

This month marks the third anniversary of our move to Ohio. If you would have asked me 5 years ago if I'd ever end up in Ohio, I would have laughed, figuring there would be no possible reason or opportunity for me ever to move to the Midwest. It's just not a place this Southern girl ever gave much thought, but the Lord has His ways and they are much higher than mine.


So, here we are... The road to Ohio was marked with much difficulty, and it proved to be a time where our faith in God was stretched farther than it ever had been before. We had deep roots in Houston and along the Gulf Coast --- family within a few hours drive, a brand new house that we had just built, friends with whom we had true fellowship, and a church that was vibrant, passionate, and in pursuit of making the name of Christ known among the nations. We had also just added a new member to our family, our son Dylan, who was born premature and was struggling to gain weight those first few months. In my mind, a move to Ohio seemed absurd.



For ten months, my husband traveled back and forth each week between Houston and Ohio while we waited for our house to sell. At times, we weren't sure if the move was going to happen, but God in His sovereignty worked all things out for our good and for His glory. Finally, after ten months, our house in Houston had sold, we had put down a contract on a house in Ohio, and we were making the long drive to the Buckeye State.



That was three years ago, and since then, I have come to love living here in Ohio. We've added another member to the family, a baby girl, and with two curious little ones, there is much to do around here.



A few months after moving, a friend from Houston had asked me if I had been able to see through God's eyes why we needed to move to Ohio. At the time, I hadn't, and to this day, I don't fully know why we are here. I do know there have been many blessings along the way, and God has used this time in my life to "work" on me affecting great change that wouldn't have happened otherwise...



Here are just a few of the blessings I count as a result from this move...



  • having my husband home every evening instead of the weekly long-distance commute he was doing

  • living in a small community that feels idyllic on an ordinary day

  • experiencing all four seasons and discovering that autumn is my absolute favorite time of the year (never had a true fall before!)

  • adding a baby girl to our family

  • being able to stay home with our children and being available to my husband without the additional distraction of an outside job

  • a cozy, quaint 1940's Cape Cod home that has plenty of quirks

  • neighbors that are like family to me

  • a small group that seeks to know God and bring Him glory through all that they do

  • Maple trees and apple orchards, raking leaves, enjoying summer evenings on the deck (it was always too hot in Houston to really enjoy this)

  • Daffodils, tulips, and hycainths in the spring

  • Blankets of pristine snow after a winter storm

  • And most of all, being right where God wants you to be



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just read you're blog about ohio....and i really enjoyed it. i know you questioned God's plans to move you "up north", and trust me, the rest of the Sanders did too! :) but i know that y'all are in the center of his will and God is truly blessing you. i still pray that you get moved closer to home, but i'll wait for God's wisdom and timing on that one. in the meantime, i'm glad you live in ohio because i'd never seen autumn either and i finally got to see it with you! i love, love, love you!!

-karen

Anonymous said...

After many trips to the blogsite and not seeing any updates, I quit looking for awhile. This morning I was pleasantly surprised with all the recent writings and photos. Thanks for sharing your thoughts of your move to Ohio. The struggle WAS long and hard, but as you have stated, God is in control and has His purposes. Though your move has meant that we have seen you fewer times over the past three years, we are grateful that you see God at work in your lives.

We are so proud of you and Brian, and love you so much!!! You have truly sought the Lord and continue to serve Him faithfully. We can hardly wait to see you, Brian and the kids next week!

Love,
MPark