8.19.2006

The Mommy Wears Payless...

If you're a mother, you know that sometimes you reach a point where you just need to get out of the house --- alone! No kids, no diaper bags, no sippie cups, no goldfish crackers... just you! This has been a long week, and I must have reached that point because Brian came in to the room where I was changing Brooklyn this morning and suggested I take the afternoon off. I didn't hesistate a bit! I got on line and picked out a movie --- one of those mindless, entertaining ones. Then I ran upstairs, threw on my "long" jeans (you know, the kind you have to wear heels with), put on a little gloss, hit the ATM, and headed to the theater. I knew I couldn't be gone too long --- nursing babies have a way of getting very attached --- but I intended to make the most of my time. So, I went to the movies... alone!

For years, my dad has gone to the movies alone. I used to think that was kind of strange, but after my little outing today, I think he's on to something! First of all, you have sole control over what you see. You can pick the stupidest movie or the most thought-provoking one, and it doesn't matter to anyone else. No need to settle for a movie that you would rather rent for $3 in a couple of months. Today I picked a complete "chic flic" --- one I know Brian won't even want to rent! It was a movie that was for entertainment purposes only --- brain not required to enjoy! Secondly, you can eat anything you want to from the concession stand provided you've brought your entire paycheck with you! You can pour butter all over your popcorn or leave it off, mix in the M&M's or eat them separately... whatever you want! Thirdly, you get lots of elbow room. For whatever reason, human tendency is to leave a seat between you and the next person if that person is not "with" you. So, if you're alone, that means an empty seat on either side!

Daddy evidently has known the secret to the theater for years... I only discovered it today, but what a wonderful discovery! I came home relaxed and ready for another week of taking care of my little ones. Thank you Brian for giving me the day "off"!

Oh, by the way, the title to this post should give you a little hint of what movie I saw...

4 comments:

FromAfarPark said...

Good for you Janna! I might be following your example soon! May I just say I am sooooo thrilled about your test kitchen blog!!

Anonymous said...

Janna, it's a good thing you acted quickly to take advantage of the day out before Brian changed his mind! :) I'm proud of him for observing your need to have some time alone--and then doing something about it! Thanks for sharing your day out in such a delightful way. Love ya, Brian's Mom

Paper said...

Sarah --- feel free to leave recipes/comments/etc on the test kitchen blog, and if you're interested in joining the blog to post your own recipes, I'll do that too!

Michelle said...

how wonderful brian can see it in your eyes when you need a break. good for him!

sounds like you had a great time!