10.08.2007

An ER kind of morning...

It's Monday, and as of this morning, my schedule was full of things to do to get ready for our friend Andrew who is coming up from Houston to visit this weekend. He took us up on our offer to enjoy fall in Ohio, and we're really excited to see him again.

But back to Monday... now those of you who have known me for a while may somewhat recall that prior to becoming a mother and homemaker, I was an engineer. I love math and science... there I admit it!! That is important to know because you will understand my reaction when Brian came down to the basement this morning and said "I think Brooklyn might have eaten a battery!"

My first thought was "You've got to be kidding me... how in the world did she get hold of a battery?"

Brian said something like "She was playing with this light thing, and I'm pretty sure there were 3 batteries in it. I pulled one out of her mouth, and I have one in my hand, but I can't find the third one. I think she ate it." Immediately, I went into Mommy/former-Chemical Engineer mode and thought of all the problems that might result from eating a battery. In the base case, water and electricity just never mix... and that includes a battery inside your throat!

So... we searched the house and couldn't find the 3rd battery. Not wanting to waste too much time, I loaded the kids in the car and drove off to Children's Hospital. We checked in and the nurses at the front desk seemed rather concerned, expressing their need to get us back to triage as soon as possible. We waited maybe only 45 seconds before they took us back. They got her vitals, ordered an x-ray, and sent us across the very short hall to Radiology.

In Radiology, we sat... and sat... and sat... and sat. Obviously, they were not as concerned as the folks in the ER. Eventually, they got us to the x-ray room and we pinned Brooklyn down. This took only 6 adults --- one to operate the x-ray, three to hold down Brooklyn, and two to occupy Dylan.

That done... we were told to wait out in the hallway for the results. Meanwhile, the ER nurses found us in the hallway and were freaked out by why this x-ray was taking so long. They rushed us back to one of the ER rooms and did a few more evaluations of Brooklyn.

By this time, the kids were way past done with the whole ER/Hospital thing, and they were starting to get really restless. So... we read a book about Madeline going to Texas... and sang some hymns... and Dylan prayed for Brooklyn... and we read some book about a pig... and then one about a tree... and then the resident came in.

"Mam... we've looked over the x-rays, and we can't find a battery inside your daughter. I think she's going to be just fine." Brooklyn looked up at him, reached up for him, and jumped in his lap. He picked her up and she hugged him... it was really precious. He asked me how she got a hold of a battery, and I recounted the story (again!). He said, "You know, I've heard about this happening before, but had never seen it up until last week. I had another baby come in who swallowed the same kind of battery, and it's giving him a lot of serious problems."

As it turns out, those ChE instincts were not entirely inaccurate. A battery is among one of the most dangerous things a child can swallow. The saliva in their mouth and esophagus can react with the battery, causing it to short. When this happens, it can actually heat up and burn through the esophagus. So... beware of the gadgets around your home and be thankful that you have to get the screwdriver out every time the batteries go out on one of your kid's toys!

Now... they're all down for a nap, and I'm on a mission to find that 3rd battery!


"Like a shepherd He tends His flock,
In His arm He will gather the lambs
And carry them in His bosom;
He will gently lead those that have young."
Isaiah 40:11

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!! I'm so glad that Brooklyn did not swallow that battery! I hope you do find it soon. I remember a few emergency room incidents in our family!!!

Luv, Mom

Paper said...

Mom ---

The only Er visits I remember were YOURS!!! The one where you cut your finger open with the hedger and the one that Mr. Glenn had to come along because Daddy was in Belgium...

jp

Anonymous said...

i agree with janna, the majority of the e.r. visits were for you, mom!

don't forget about lisa's trip to the e.r becaise of the-curling-iron-on-the-eyeball incident. i was so jealous of her....i wanted to wear an eyepatch too!

but i'm so thankful Brooklyn's okay, and clearly she has good taste if she's already jumping into the arms of doctors! :)

love ya,
aunty cayenne

Paper said...

Yeah... I forgot about Lisa's trip. Those big eyes do tend to get in the way sometimes. Hey, did I have to go to the ER when that glass at McD's broke in my mouth???

tallie lea said...

whew! i'm nervous just reading this! it is always scary when they take you right back when you get to the er. i am glad she is ok.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Brian told us this evening about the incident, but your recounting adds a lot of details and sure sends up the blood pressure! We rejoice with you that it was only a scare and not a reality. Janna, I'm so glad your ChE instincts surged and you took immediate action. It sounds like our Almightly God was with you and preparing the way the entire ER visit.

We love you!
MPark

Michelle said...

yikes! glad she's okay! i wish we could come up and enjoy an ohio fall! :)

Paper said...

Michelle --- you are welcome to come up anytime you want, but I have to warn you... it's a brutally long drive from Texas!

jp